Friday, November 3, 2000

Vote Swapping

I'm amused by the vote swapping hubub. The idea is, some folks want to vote for Nader, so that the Green Party will get the 5% needed to allocate Federal funding in the next election. But in some states, voting for Nader can 'tip the balance in favor of Bush'. So these services hook you up with voters in states where Gore is winning by a clear lead. They will vote for Nader and you can vote for Gore.



The problem with this approach is not that it "corrupts the election process", as California Secretary of State Bill Jones imputes, but rather that they assume too much. What makes you think that if I couldn't vote for Nader, I'd vote for Gore?



And to those tiny minds among you who say voting for a third-party candidate who represents my views is a waste of my vote, how is voting for the 'lesser of two evils' not a waste? http://thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,19890,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment