Sunday, November 19, 2000

Red Planet

I went to see Red Planet after "NOVA" last night. The movie is not so memorable that I'd write a full review, but I do have a few comments:



Some reviewers have been attempting to throw this movie a bone by saying it is scientifically accurate, but I don't think so. A character who is supposed to be a geneticist spots a large crab-louse/cockroach critter on the surface of Mars and refers to it as "some sort of nematode". Sorry, but nematodes are worms.



In the climax of the movie, Carrie-Ann Moss gives Val Kilmer CPR, and after successfully resuscitating him, the computer says "stand him up, Commander Bowman". I'm sorry, but in zero gravity, which way is up?



The plot is on the whole very predictable. Some of the special effects are fun, such as the robot, AMEE, and the 'nematodes'. The biggest draw in the movie for me is Carrie-Ann Moss, whom I've had a crush on ever since The Matrix. But as she plays the role of the commander stuck on the ship while the other crew bumble around on Mars, she doesn't really get enough airplay.



Probably the nicest thing I can say about this movie is that when I take Kelly to see Rugrats in Paris I'll think back fondly on Red Planet "qbullet.smiley".

No comments:

Post a Comment