Thursday, November 2, 2000

Napster

According to a new study by PC Data, Napster users do buy fewer CDs once they get the hang of using the tool. Either this is like the last RIAA-sponsored study, and slanted in favor of the record industry, or I am different than the surveyed folks. My own experience:




  • Radiohead - Sampled from Napster, bought Kid A, their new album.
  • Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here), David Gilmour (There's No Way Out Of Here) - Have both albums, got samples off of Napster.
  • Ebola Music - Sampled off Napster, ordered direct from artist (sorry big-label middlemen).
  • FLCL - Saw the anime, sampled from Napster, CD on order from Kinokuniya. Still no money in the pockets of the RIAA, since this is an import album.
  • Leon Russel - sampled from Napster to play for Jean and Kelly, Saving money to buy Retrospective


Yep, there are also songs that I've sampled which have not resulted in album sales, but that's just smart consumerism. The RIAA doesn't like it that I get to preview the goods before I spend my money. Too bad. With the Bertelsmann deal pending with Napster, I may subscribe to Napster for legal digital copies (but not if they use a proprietary format that doesn't play on the Mac, or the Rio), and then I won't be buying the CD too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14363.html

No comments:

Post a Comment