Friday, December 15, 2000

Pac Rim White Trash

Oregon sports a largish local chain of combo grocery/household goods stores called Fred Meyer. There is one very near where we live (less than five minutes by car). Think K-Mart (which we also have nearby) and you won't be far off.



So I was feeling in need of a treat today after work, and had just gotten my allowance, making a quick food treat possible. What, I thought to myself, can I get to eat for about $5, for fun? McDonald's and Burger King are sometimes expedient, but they ain't fun. If I was an Arkie, maybe I'd get some deep-fried catfish wrapped in newspaper. But this is Oregon; Portland is sister city to Sapporo in Japan. So I went to Fred Meyer and bought sushi in a plastic tray.



When I told my wife what I had bought, she said, "Ughh! that's disgusting." After a pause, she went on, in the way that makes me love her so dearly. "But I understand why you did it. I don't give you sushi at home, so you get it somewhere else. Just don't start bringing it home at all hours of the morning."



I cracked up and promised to practice 'safe sushi'. "qbullet.smiley"

No comments:

Post a Comment