Tuesday, December 26, 2000

Is Santa Real?

Kelly has never asked me this question. I think this stems from our special relationship, whereby I spin humungous whoppers of fibs all the time, but always tell her the truth about important things, or when she asks "for real?" Since I think she wants Santa to exist, she doesn't ask me. Still, it is clear that she thinks about this sort of thing, and at five years old, is aware that super-powered beings are not all that common.



Jean was talking about this on Christmas Eve, after Kelly was asleep, and said that Kelly had asked her if Santa was for real. Jean hesitated, and Kelly said, "he's real the way cartoon characters are real." Which is really a fascinating characterization. Which is why we were so amused at her reaction to the traditional cookies-and-milk escapade. At that point, I think she was role-playing, more than believing in Santa whole-heartedly, but it was still amusing.



I think next year, Santa will be just a fun part of the Christmas trimmings, and clearly no longer a real possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment