Monday, October 30, 2000

Soulless Geek Toys

Maybe I should think twice before talking about geek toys, since in theory this is a public weblog, and I could be attracting evil burglars. But let's be honest, I've got an audience of two, counting myself. And of course there's the house alarm "qbullet.smiley".



So anyway, Mentor had a decent spike in their stock price this year, and I exercised a few options, resulting in my being able to buy a few geek toys. One was an iBook (Apple wireless laptop computer) which is allowing me to write this while reclining on the futon downstairs, watching television recorded with my ReplayTV.



So where am I going with this? Not sure, exactly "qbullet.smiley". I guess anybody who's bothered to read a few of my anime essays realizes that I've never grown up. The toys have just gotten more expensive. And while Jean has been studying, exploring life and placing less emphasis on material things, she still seems to love me. Kelly on the other hand is right behind me on the materialism thing "qbullet.smiley".




Quick anecdote. When Kelly was three I took her trick-or-treating. I thought I had taught her the proper rituals, knocking at the door, shouting "Trick or Treat!" But we arrived at a house, and as the owner came to the door, I said to Kelly "what do you say?" To which she gleefully replied "I want candy!"


I don't think the toys are pivotal to my being. As a true geek (only half-kidding here), I just have an appreciation for the cool gadget. I still think about life, what's important when all the toys are gone. I enjoy my afternoon walks with Jean more than anything, and we talk about everything under the sun (including geek toys). Then there are the Kelly-level moments in life, such as when she eats a homemade treat and says, "let me just say this", spreading her hands, palms flat, "Yum."



And not all the toys are soulless, either "qbullet.smiley". When I wrecked my ankle, I bought a bicycle. I ride it about as often as I estimated I would, which is to say about once a week, but it is so much fun I know the money was well spent. And in this case, I get outside, taste the fresh air, and get exercise as well. Sorry, but I'll have to spend some more money here soon, buying some thermal workout clothes, so I can keep riding on the rare dry winter days. I don't quite have the confidence to ride in the rain yet.



So I'll still feel free to talk about my soulless geek toys(tm). But try not to think I'm totally shallow and material when I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment