Thursday, October 5, 2000

Probably My First Anime 'Review'

This 'review' was originally an email (from about three years ago) to Nat, a NOVA member who spoke Japanese. I was trying to con him into creating synopses for the OVA series I was watching, 'reviewed' below.



Note: I've since seen the series with subtitles, and it is every bit as good as I thought when watching it in raw Japanese! Now without further ado...



Mahou Tsukai Tai!



Those magnificent Japanese bastards! I don't know whether to kill 'em or kiss 'em! I just got through watching 'Mahou Tsukai Tai!', Vol. 4, and I just grow more and more enamored of this OVA series. I think I'll mourn deeply when the sixth and final LD comes out.



I don't speak a word of Japanese, and this is a dialogue-heavy series, but the visuals are so rewarding, the physical comedy so cute, and the voice-acting so rich, that I never lack for something to appreciate. There is a sequence in the middle of this episode which I interpret as a game of 'truth or consequences', which I'd kill to know the actual questions and answers to. And how it ties into the ending is also terrific. I don't think I need to know what was said, and nay-said, at the end.



And I love how the show always blends into the closing theme song. The ED is just too cute. I don't remember what it is, but the Japanese language has a word which expresses 'that sense of longing after a sweet nostalgic moment which is so acute that it causes heartache'. God are they good at that!



Can you tell that I like MTT! ;^)~



No comments:

Post a Comment