Wednesday, July 2, 2003

Six Days and Five Nights

First post from Anime Expo! I brought my laptop (an original Blueberry iBook) and our room has broadband available, so I'm able to dash off a post now and then. Don't expect too many, as I'll be busy doing, but...

Of course I had to launch the trip with a burst of bad health choices. In the concourse of the Portland Airport Dan and Alan and I went to Good Dog, Bad Dog (botique sausage restaurant) and had sandwiches for lunch. I had the BratReuben, a bratwurst with Reuben toppings. Yum, yum!

The flight down was uneventful, and I even escaped the nasty sinus pain that sometimes afflicts me when we descend rapidly. We caught a shuttle to the hotel, and checked in with little trouble, although the room assignments were somewhat flakey (we got rooms across the hall from each other, and the rooms were 'smoking' -- I keep forgetting that not all states are as healthy as Oregon).

Tom and I were both 'paid pre-registered' and got our badges and other material in a matter of five minutes. Dan, Alan and John had to wait for two hours to get through the lines for their registration.

While we waited for them, we joined James and Jeremy to check out their weird Japanese import Playstation 2 games. One was a 'Killer Trout' fishing game, with mutant zombie fish. The other was a disc with dozens of mini games, such as the wedding pie toss and the afro growing game. Lotsa crazy stuff.

Finally, we marched out in search of food, and ended up going to Downtown Disney (we took the long way around, due to some misnavigation, turns out the shuttle entrance was right across the street). We ate in the restaurant portion of 'House of Blues'. We skipped the club since there was a $13 cover charge to get in and it was really loud. I had a salad and veggies, other folks had major dishes. Now we are back, and winding down for the night. Gotta get those earplugs ready!

Kelly, I miss you already. Jean, I miss you too! Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Phin, it's your wife. Loved the posting -- keep it up as time permits. Aren't you smart to have pre-registered!
    I played The Sims last night -- Kelly got into it, too, creating fictional Sims family "The Warfields" with a dad named Don. A coincidence I'm sure. We also watched 2 episodes of King of the Hill on the Replay.
    Yesterday I spent *an hour* trying to locate the uniform store downtown, had to give up and go home. I've made arrangements to try again a week from Saturday with you in tow to navigate.
    How was the food at House of Blues? Would you recommend it?
    We miss you Fiercely. Love you! -Jean

    ReplyDelete