Friday, July 18, 2003

Santo Contra La Invasion de Los Marcianos

Okay, I hope by now that all three of my readers realize that I have strange and eclectic tastes (mostly strange). Let this be a shining example of that credo. The other choice item arriving in the mail today was the titular movie, in English called Santo vs. The Martians. This is one movie out of probably hundreds made in Mexico celebrating the masked wrestler that is part of that culture. It was made in 1966, and probably manages to be a tad more entertaining than it's B-movie soulmate, Santa Claus Versus the Martians (only notable for the debut of seven-year old Pia Zadora as a Martian child).

What is this movie about? Well, a masked wrestler preventing the Martian conquest of Earth by sweating and grunting. Virility alone, it seems, is sufficient to repel aliens with bad intentions. In fact, this is probably a better movie for young women, as it is filled with muscular men grabbing each other and grunting. Okay, some guys enjoy that too.

My weirdness bone was tickled, but I did actually get tired of the endless scenes in which wrestling appeared necessary to advance the plot, such as it was. I'll offer this movie to friends, but I won't inflict it on them. Not without a warning, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment