Friday, July 18, 2003

Scrubs Soundtrack

I'm a big ol' fan of the television series Scrubs, a comedy series set in a hospital. Jean thinks it's directed at guys, in the same way that the Three Stooges were, but I think it has more general appeal. Anyway, I got the Scrubs Soundtrack in the mail today. I ripped it this afternoon and listened to the whole thing. Two standouts so far:

Overkill - Colin Hay. He was the lead singer for Men At Work. They had a number of fun tunes, and I owned a couple of their albums. Most folk probably remember Down Under, since it gets played in just about every movie set in Australia ever made. I think it's a union rule. Colin Hay guest starred as an unnamed street musician who follows J. D. around in an episode aptly named My Overkill. I really enjoyed this episode, and it was Colin singing "Overkill" throughout the episode which inspired me to hunt down the song, and led to purchasing this album (since iTunes Music Store has no Colin Hay or even Men At Work -- yet).

Hallelujah - John Cale. I'm familiar with John Cale, and iTunes Music Store even has some of his songs. This one is very good, and the lyrics remind me of Leonard Cohen, which is a good thing, believe me. I think I'll be buying more John Cale online.

Other songs may or may not be good, but I'll have to listen to them all a few times to decide, as they don't immediately stand out like Hay and Cale. I know one other song I like, but it's from an album I already have: Do the Collapse - Guided by Voices. The song is Hold on Hope, and is one of the better songs on their album.

1 comment:

  1. it's funny because the song, overkill, is also the reason that I started looking for the soundtrack.
    Rune, Denmark

    ReplyDelete