Thursday, July 3, 2003

Idol

We did quite a bit of wandering around the con before and after the Idol Contest, and they got a rocky start, running over an hour late. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. These kids have got a lot of guts getting up on stage in front of a hundred or two tired anime fans. The competition was either voice acting or pop singing. We only stayed for about six competitors, as they ran so late, but some of them showed real promise.

The one that stuck with me was a young woman reading Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. She had a really nice voice, perfect for narrative. I was trying to decide if she was British and nervous, or awkwardly trying to imitate a British accent, but it seemed stilted. And she slurred some of her words. But I surely hope she gets professional training, because I actually closed my eyes and listened to her voice for a minute there. It's got something to do with the fact that I've always loved that poem fragment (it's a crowd pleaser, so that's no surprise), but it also had to do with my love of a fine voice. Very nice.

On another note, poor Ross Johnson! He's down here working on AX staff, and is trapped working some of the nastiest panels (BBS get-togethers, Sailor Moon musicals, for instance). The guy who is supposed to be helping him and giving him breaks is a no show. If I had any knowledge of the equipment I'd offer to help him, some. But we'll be meeting with him after he gets off, around 11pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment