Thursday, January 10, 2002

Milk Dud Memories



I have a flakey long-term memory. Go back more than ten years, and I have a very difficult time remembering details of my life. So it was with some surprise that I had a flash of memory the other night.





Kelly was eating some candy out of a box, and Jean explained that it was a free sample. I asked Kelly what it was, and she read the label: "Milk Duds, Daddy."





My mind went spiraling back to my own childhood. I was sitting in a theatre with a tub of popcorn and a box of Milk Duds. I took a handful of popcorn, nestled a Milk Dud in the middle, and popped the whole conglomeration into my mouth. The taste and texture of the two 'foods' in my mouth is vivid even now. This was how I ate Milk Duds when a child, without fail!





So sensory memories can be the strongest, even if they lie dormant for decades. Cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment