Tuesday, January 29, 2002

Finite and Infinite Games



Back in my old weblog, I posted a note about Nomic, which is a game about making rules. It's very open-ended, and is one of those games where the quality of play is largely determined by the participants. I think someday I'll try my hand at it again, in which case I'll need the starting rules. Peter Suber is the creator, who invented the game to illustrate a point in his book, The Paradox of Self-Amendment.





What got me off on this thread again was a reference by David McCusker to Finite and Infinite Games, a book by James P. Carse which I read several years ago. It struck me as a bit gosh-wow, but had some interesting viewpoints regarding life as 'infinite game'. Since McCusker mentions Nomic in another post, that got me onto the realization that Nomic could very well be one of the sources of inspiration for Carse's book, since I believe it predates it by a decade.





Does this article have a point? No, it's really just a bookmark for me to record things I'm interested in. I'll probably transcribe the links to various other open-ended games I had included in my original Nomic article (from Terebi I) when I've got time.



No comments:

Post a Comment