Tuesday, January 8, 2002

iPhoto Not For Me



'In one fell swoop, it replies to almost any argument that any non-professional camera user could raise as to why they still prefer traditional cameras to digital cameras' -- Ted Landau.





Um... Batteries, 'Film' capacity, Resolution, ISO, Dynamic Range. These are some of the things that even a point-and-shoot such as the Yashica T4 Super can do better than a whole raft of digital cameras can. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nikon Coolpix 950, but it is limited in ways that even Photoshop can't fix.





Ted Landau's MacFixit quip seems mainly impressed by the bundled ability to order prints of digital photos online. But as I mention above, that's only a piece of the puzzle. Jeff Keller gives a quick review of the functionality, pointing out several other shortcomings, not least of which is that it requires MacOS X. Add to that the fact that version 1.0 lacks even a basic 'sharpen' feature, and I won't be throwing away my ancient copy of Photoshop 4.2 anytime soon.





This is another overhyped item from the wave of hype Apple generated this time at Macworld. Next.



No comments:

Post a Comment