Thursday, January 10, 2002

I Even Washed My Hands Later



When Kelly was younger and attended the Mentor daycare (Child Development Center, CDC for you TLA lovers), I'd occasionally go over to visit with her around lunchtime. Often enough that it didn't seem a fluke, I got mobbed by lots of little munchkins. Maybe they did it to everybody, but I never saw them swarm another adult like they did me.





So today I took Kelly to school at Bridgeport, and we had to wait at a crossing for a schoolbus to clear the lane. Standing near us was a young boy, about Kelly's age. He sidled up to me, and as I was warming my hands in my pockets, he snaked his hand into my pocket and tried to grab my hand.





I pulled my hand away and asked "do I know you?"





"Uh huh. I'm Gavin."





Well, I swear that even if this kid had been introduced to me, it wasn't as his long-lost father! He kept trying to grab my hand, until finally I put Kelly's backpack in my right hand, and her hand in my left. We went inside, and the kid tried to hug me while I was trying to get Kelly settled. Who are you, kid?!!?





Other than his unusual affection, he seemed normal enough, for a six-year old. But he creeps me out.



No comments:

Post a Comment