Friday, April 13, 2001

Asperger Baby



In the online version of New Scientist, there's an interview with Simon Baron-Cohen, who is a clinical psychologist at Cambridge University. He runs a clinic for Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. After the interview is displayed a shortlist of 10 symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, with the following caveat:





...Before you panic--or feel relieved to have found a possible explanation for your problems--ALL 10 descriptions must apply to you, and your difficulties must be significantly interfering with your daily life.





  • I find social situations confusing


  • I find it hard to make small talk


  • I did not enjoy imaginative story-writing at school


  • I am good at picking up details and facts


  • I find it hard to work out what other people are thinking and feeling


  • I can focus on certain things for very long periods


  • People often say I was rude even when this was not intended


  • I have unusually strong, narrow interests


  • I do certain things in an inflexible, repetitive way


  • I have always had difficulty making friends






While I understand the caveat (after all, I greatly enjoyed 'imaginative story-writing' in highschool), and I have some quibbles with the wording of some of the items, this would explain a lot...



No comments:

Post a Comment