Monday, January 26, 2004

My Reward

I got a good grade on my dental hygiene exam last week (after a somewhat sketchier one previously) and Dr. Kierkegaarde said it was probably due to my assiduous application of the Pik Pocket subgingival attachments they prescribed the last time. I should hope so. Using these things is te-di-ous. Add to that my recent dazzling progress on my project at work (despite my personal milestone whizzing past at the end of next month) and just general comfort for my recent fluey illness, and I felt free to spend my Christmas money buying a midrange treat:

Xbox! Yeah, I've already got a console, but even if I suck at most games, I enjoy them immensely, and the Xbox is getting several new exclusives that I really wanna try out. So I blew my roll on the green monster. This was a package deal. It came with the controller, of course, and three games:


  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars - A standard vehicle racer/shooter with nice graphics, as far as I can see from my cursory play.

  • Tetris Worlds - On an Xbox??? Come on! You know what this is. No surprises here.

  • Brute Force - Looks like a FPS style game, though I haven't had a chance to try it at all.



Then I picked up a 'Platinum Hit' to round things out. I wanted to get Munch's Oddysee, but Kelly didn't like the looks of it, and since she was in tow, I wanted her to feel like she had some input. The whole thing that got me thinking about another console was when Kelly had asked for Pokemon Channel for Christmas. Unfortunately, it only comes on the Nintendo Gamecube, a console I do not own. So I looked seriously at the console, with the criterion that they had to have enough games that I wanted to play to justify a new console. No go. But it got me thinking...

Back to the present. Kelly got input. We settled on Simpsons Road Rage, which is sort of a franchised knock-off of Crazy Taxi. Kelly spent most of yesterday evening playing it. I could have gotten Simpsons Hit and Run, which is their new franchise game, a knock-off of Grand Theft Auto, but that was full price, and I figured Kelly would never know the difference.

So what's up next? First, paying off the credit card for this lump purchase. A little later, I'll pick up one of the Baldur's Gate games, and maybe the Morrowind title. Yeah, I know, I'm a sucker for a good dungeon crawl...

This summer is Sudeki! Gotta play! Ain't I just a juvenile with a grey beard?

No comments:

Post a Comment