Saturday, January 10, 2004

Apple vs Apple

Since 1991, Apple Computer and Apple Corps. (founded by the Beatles as it's music label) have had an agreement (stemming out of a lawsuit) wherein Apple Computer agreed to use the name Apple only for computer equipment. With the creation of the iPod, I wondered when Apple Corps. would sue again.

Then came the Apple iTunes Music Store. And then came the lawsuit. So I wasn't surprised to discover that there were no Beatles albums on iMS.

Tonight, however, courtesy of Kelly Wakefield, I found out that this did not mean that there were no Beatles songs on iMS. Kelly had me play the Chipmunks Christmas songs we bought for her, then asked me if she could hear more of them, or at least the 30 second samples available on iMS.

And to my surprise, I found Please Please Me and She Loves You. I went another step and searched for "Beatles", turning up lots of covers, everything from "Eleanor Rigby" to "Penny Lane". I wonder if Apple Corps. knows about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment