Thursday, March 29, 2001

The Agony and the Ecstasy


The other evening I was having dinner, and Kelly had not yet eaten. For
the record, I had (among other stuff) some 'baked beans' which were
homemade, from Great Northern beans, by Jean. I also had some homemade
whole wheat bread sticks.




As I ate, I asked Kelly if she was hungry yet. She said no, and I told
her to bear in mind that 'the kitchen closes at 7:30 pm.' This is a rule
in our house to curtail foot-dragging come bedtime. So Kelly wandered
over to see what I was eating. I offered her a fork-full of beans, and
she wrinkled her nose.




If that was all she'd done, that would be the end of this note. But she
cranked herself up and began a rant, purely for dramatic effect:




Eww! That's disgusting! I can't believe you're eating
that! I think I'm gonna be sick, yuck!



This rant is notable because it is the same one I give her, whenever
catch her putting paper into her mouth, especially tissue. It really
does gross me out, but I add a lot of drama because it seems to give her
pleasure. So here she is doing the same thing to me, over beans.




After a short while, I finished a mouthful of beans and reached for the
bread stick. I took a bite, and offered the end to her. Kelly walked up,
looked at it for a moment, and then said "that looks appetizing." My
five-year old daughter just flashes on the most adult phrasing
sometimes. So Kelly had mostly bread sticks for dinner. "qbullet.smiley"



No comments:

Post a Comment