Thursday, January 30, 2003

Meds

I saw a second doctor yesterday regarding my twitch. He's another D.O. like Dr. Selby. He couldn't make heads nor tails of my condition, though it's been under control with the Lorazepam. I told him I was worried about developing a dependency on it, and he suggested that I cut back to using it only at night.

And what a night it was. It turns out that the 'anecdotal' evidence for dependence is correct. I was up all night, not with my twitch, but anxiousness, apnea, just generally unable to sleep. I probably got three hours. So today was zombie day.

I'm now trying a more gradual reduction, but of course it's too soon to tell if that'll work very well either. Cross your fingers, maybe I'll sleep tonight.

Doctor Tirjer has set me up for a cat scan, to rule out vascular defects, scanning from the abdomen down past the pelvis. That's in two weeks. If that doesn't turn anything up, then I get to wait an undetermined length of time to see a neurologist.

Right now I'm kind of down about the whole thing. At full strength, the Lorazepam was letting me sleep, but it was only a matter of time until my body developed a tolerance for it and the twitch came back. So now I have to bull forward and try to find another solution. I just hope there is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment