Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Apples

In Praise of Apples: A Harvest of History, Horticulture & Recipes. I'm currently reading this, but I don't think it'll be on the pile much longer. I got it to try to answer my questions about apple propagation, how varieties come to be, that sort of thing. I'd once heard that apples don't 'breed true' and that if you plant a seed, the tree might not grow the same kind of apples as the seed came from. It turns out that's sorta true, but a bit more complicated.

However, the overwhelming majority of pages in the book are devoted to recipes including apples. I'm just not thrilled at the idea of making a bunch of dishes with apples, so now that I've sucked up the few vital facts the book had to offer, I'm pretty much done with it. Back to the library with thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment