Friday, January 17, 2003

A New Kind of Science

Well, I'm mildly bummed. I went to renew the books I've got at the library, and A New Kind of Science is not renewable, because there's too many people in line. I've gotten up to page 327, out of about 850, if you don't count the voluminous notes, which pad the volume out to it's 1200 pages. The reading is often repetitive, usually a bit annoying because Wolfram is egotistical and even justifies his egotism scientifically. But for every twenty pages or so there is a nice nugget of info that keeps me reading.

Do I want to pay $45 to own a copy? No, I honestly don't think it's worth that. I have my doubts about it's revolutionary nature too. So I guess I'll just queue up at the end of the line and check it out again when I come up in a few months. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment