Friday, January 17, 2003

Asian Movie Roundup

We get the International Channel, and I take advantage of it by recording Hong Kong Movie Express each week. Most of the time they are a big disappointment, like a recent selection known as The Nightmare Zone. It was an anthology of three stories each of which was supposed to be spooky, but was usually 'oooo, wasn't that scary, kids?' rather than truly creepy. The punchline was always anticlimactic.

Somewhat more entertaining was When I Look Upon the Stars. Directed by Dante Lam, it is an offbeat love story, sort of a love triangle, but more mixed up. I confess that it also has an actress I've always had a crush on, Shu Qi, whose reputation centers around cuteness and clowning around.

This time around I was surprised to see the movie was actually fairly well known. It was King of Comedy starring Stephen Chow. I own God of Cookery and Shaolin Soccer, which are both hilarious. Watching this one, I can see why it made the International Channel lineup. It is not as sustainingly entertaining as those other movies, though I did laugh out loud a few times (enough so that Jean came downstairs to see what all the hubbub was about).

Final verdict, I'm glad i saw it, but I won't be buying my own copy or forcing my friends to watch it.

And now we're entering a dry spell, until at least February 7th without subtitled Hong Kong movies. Poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment