Wednesday, July 6, 2005

The Booty

I'll put all of the Hong Kong movies in my cumulative list, but I just wanted to share my acquisitions with all (two) of you:


  • The Brave Archer 1-3. There are supposed to be four volumes to this series, but this box set seemed pretty nice, so I went for it anyway.

  • Come Drink With Me. This is a movie by King Hu, who also created A Touch of Zen, which I've raved over before. This is considered his other masterpiece.

  • Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. A classic Shaw Brothers martial arts film.

  • Infernal Affairs. A cop drama, supposedly one of the best in years.

  • New Police Story. Revisits Jackie Chan's classic police character, though relying on a younger cast to carry the story.

  • One Night in Mongkok. An award winner this year.

  • Throw Down. Another award winner. Funny story: I had this and another movie in my hands, and was trying to decide which to get (both! nope, stick to the budget). I asked the grey-bearded gent who runs Drunken Master, the store I always buy from at Expo, what he thought. He said, "well, I did the commentary track on the English track of the DVD of Throw Down, so I gotta go with that."

  • The Twins Effect II. I was trying to buy Twins Effect, but in the hustle and bustle of the convention Dealer's Room, I was handed the 'sequel', instead. I'm gonna borrow the original from Alan, and let him borrow this one...

  • A World Without Thieves. One more award winner...



For myself, I also got a Gankutsou T-shirt and mug. For Kelly, aside from all the Dealer's Room freebies, I got her the T-shirt, a baby-doll T with a cute picture, and a manga, called The Wallflower (which I guess I already mentioned).

No comments:

Post a Comment