Sunday, January 16, 2005

Chicken Success

So the experiment with General Tso's Chicken went well. It takes a bit less time to make than Kung Pao Chicken, but is still a middling complicated recipe. Probably the two longest recipes I know (discounting pies) are my Tofu Chili recipe and my whole wheat bread recipe (which takes around seven hours!!!). So these two Chinese chicken recipes are a 'cakewalk' compared.

The General Tso's Chicken recipe needs some tweaking, in my opinion. The sauce base is 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup vinegar and 1/3 cup water. As you may imagine, it's really salty. And it doesn't really reduce enough for my tastes either. I want a sauce that isn't watery, and in the entire time I was 'wokking' it, it was still fairly thin. Still, with the ginger, garlic and hot peppers, it was tasty.

Funny little aside. I mentioned how Jean had made a sort of conceptual leap from General Tso to Governor, remember? So I was at Hunan Kitchen in Wilsonville with a couple of my work friends having lunch, and I told them about it. I got to the punchline just as the owner was leaning over setting out our tea. She chimed in, "uh huh, Captain Chicken, Sargeant Chicken..." We all cracked up that she just joined right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment