Saturday, August 22, 2009

Takeshi Terauchi versus The Royal Fingers

A few years ago, Boing Boing pointed me at a band called Takeshi Terauchi and The Bunnys. They based their sound around a classic 'American Invasion' of Japan by The Ventures, one of the primary surf guitar groups in the history of music (Hawaii 5-0 ring any bells?). Terauchi managed to take that sound and make it his own, lacing the surf guitar with liberal oriental notes and a self-deprecating humor. I've listened to the album This is Terauchi Bushi dozens of times in the ensuing years.

Well, Boing Boing tried to do it again, this time pointing me at The Royal Fingers, another Eleki band. The Royal Fingers had one album, Wild Eleki Deluxe, and I've listened to it now a few times. Maybe it's just that I've listened to Terauchi so many times, but I doubt it. Bunnies are just so much more distinct and fun than The Royal Fingers, who sound like a generic knock-off band of The Ventures. I gave it a chance, but it's going permanently off-rotation.



No comments:

Post a Comment