Monday, March 7, 2005

Kung Fu Hustle

Okay, I have to take Kelly in to school tomorrow, so I'll forgo a long, rhapsodic review. I watched this non-stop tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I would have loved to see this on the big screen, but even on a television screen it is a visual funhouse. The humor is pure Stephen Chow, from the dumb slapstick, the word play (most of which I'm sure is lost in translation) and the over-the-top visual effects. He started playing with this last in earnest in Shaolin Soccer, and here he has perfected it.

Leung Siu Lung as the Beast was my favorite character, though Yuen Qiu as the Landlady was really cool as well. Oops, I'm starting to outline everything I liked, and before I know it it will be morning! So just give it four or five stars and leave it at that. Thanks for loaning this one to me, Tom!


No comments:

Post a Comment