Sunday, February 15, 2004

Grey Album

What do you get when you mix black and white? You get The Grey Album. Seems a rapper by the name of Jay-Z created an album he called The Black Album, and released all the tracks separately as vocals only. Why? So that enterprising artists could do mixes using his voice. One such artist is DJ Danger Mouse, who painstakingly separated out musical segments of the Beatles' White Album, and mixed them with the vocal tracks from The Black Album.

DJ Danger Mouse did this as a personal labor of love, and had 3000 CDs created so he could give them out to friends, family, and presumably clubs. Someone decided to put the CD up on the Internet, and now EMI is trying to track all the sites down and C&D 'em. I don't really have an opinion on this one, both sides have valid points. But I did download the first three songs, and I have to say, EMI really has nothing to worry about.

An interesting experiment it may be, but I couldn't bring myself to listen to all three, as the first was bland and aimless. And you know I like a wide variety of 'experimental' music, so I'm not just some old fuddy duddy cursing them newfangled toons from them dagnabbed kids either. I'm sure some folks love it, but I think more love the idea of mixing the White Album with the Black Album to get grey. Too bad it sounds grey too.

No comments:

Post a Comment