Friday, March 21, 2003

Replay

I've had my ReplayTV box for about two and a half years now. I said when I bought it that it was a geek toy, a bleeding edge gadget that could stop working at any time, as the idea might not catch on, and the linkage to an online television directory, essential for it's operation, made it vulnerable to failure of the operating company.

Well, it looks like that day may have arrived. The current owner of ReplayTV, Sonicblue, has filed for bankruptcy. I've got my fingers crossed, as I still enjoy the box, but my outlook is skeptical. If it stops working, I won't be getting a replacement right away, as I (a) don't have the cash right now, and (b) think Tivo, the only viable competitor, could fold fairly soon after Sonicblue, if the market conditions affecting one hit the other.

So I may be playing a lot more PS2 games soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment