Sunday, March 23, 2003

Fry's Got Greedy

Well, Fry's lost out on my business today. I was at work doing a little overtime and swung by the store on the way home to see if they had the Gameboy Advance SP yet. There was an endcap display stating that they had them in stock, but that they would only be sold in 'bundles'. "See a sales associate for more information." Yeah.

So I asked a salesthing what the deal was. Turns out they won't sell me a GBA SP unless I also pay for a bunch of accessories I don't want or need. A rather shabby looking case for the console, a car power adapter, a magnifying glass fer crap's sake! The list goes on, and of the items, only the headphones are something I'm likely to buy on purpose. Total price for the 'bundle', $130, only $30 more than buying the console alone.

I said, "what colors do you have?"

"We have both colors on hand, sir."

I picked up one of the accessory packs, turned it over, fingered the cheap magnifying glass, and said, "boy, you guys..."

"It's not my choice, sir. If it were up to me we wouldn't have included those."

"So who decided this scam?"

"Our buyers down in California."

"Hmm. Okay. Yah know, I think I'm gonna wait." It's bad enough they wanna gouge me for $30, but that they insult me by trying to pawn off a bunch of junk worth $10 or $15 at best to try to justify their greed... Take a hike, losers.

I walked out, went home, and called Toys 'R' Us. They're selling the consoles separately at $99 a pop, no nonsense. They don't have 'em in the store but hope to have more in stock tomorrow. Even if it takes awhile, I'm gonna wait. No way I'm going to put up with the Fry's Tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment