Sunday, September 15, 2002

More Music Musings



Kottke gets credit for starting this particular search. There, I kept a note!





Gotta check out two particular bands, From Monument to Masses, and Dealership, and an entire genre, Math Rock. Given this definition, I very well might like it:





Take the intricacy and complexity of classic weirdo hard rock bands like Rush and Voivod, then add some of punk's hyperspasmodic schizophrenia, and you'll have a legitimate math rock contender. Math rock bands take pleasure in being erratic and unpredictable, often experimenting with peculiar tempos and jazz-derived rhythms while keeping the rock hard and aggressive all the while. Their lyrics tend to be as cerebral and expertly designed as their songs. These bands are rock's architects of the future, recrafting and reinventing the genre?s tired song structures.





Next, Wesley Felter put me on to Sparta, and after listening to two of their sample tracks on their website Friday night, I think I might have to hunt down their album, Wiretap Scars. The music is that sort of in-your-face, don't-care-if-you're-listening, post-punk slap-your-face aggressive vocalization that I have to really be in the mood for to handle, but when I am, it just hits the spot perfect-like.





Finally, another album I have no idea where I got the link from, Dekkagar, from National Trust,

No comments:

Post a Comment