Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More Free Jazz

Amazon is having an electronic 'Black Friday' sale on mp3s, with $3 off on any purchase, so I decided to try another of the recommendations from A Blog Supreme. I'm not ready to review it yet, just wanted to record it:

Black Stars - Jason Moran

Update



Okay, several listens later, I'll say that many of the compositions on this album are pretty fun. The best one is Kinda Dukish, which is a cover/interpretation of this Duke Ellington piece. According to the linked article, my impression that it is two separate pieces joined together is correct. The second piece is 'the funeral march from Ellington's "Black and Tan Fantasy"'.

Also, just a quick note. I realized that my use of the phrase 'free jazz' might be interepreted as music available for free. But no, I'm referring to the genre/approach to jazz known by that label.


No comments:

Post a Comment