Friday, January 26, 2007

Mendicant

Funny how memory works. On the way into work this morning, I was listening to this podcast on the Greyfriars and Blackfriars (don't worry, I found a lot of it confusing), and one of the guests mentioned that the Franciscans (the Greyfriars) were a mendicant order.

For the next several minutes I was unable to pay attention to the show, as I was recalling a comic I used to read 'religiously': Groo the Wanderer, by Sergio Aragones. In it, a character satirically modelled after Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian wanders the land, with only his sword and his clothes as property. A running joke is that he is referred to everywhere he goes as a mendicant, which makes him very angry, as he doesn't really know what the word means.

That's it, just an example of how my mind is constantly derailed by pop culture references. I'm my own personal Handicapper General.

No comments:

Post a Comment