Friday, October 22, 2004

<em>The</em> Inter<em>net</em>

Alright, stop it. Some people have decided that it's cute, or something to pluralize the Internet, as in "I found it on the Internets." I first noticed this on Boing Boing (bad Boing Boing, no linky for you). Today i was listening to a podcast from Engadget (likewise, stinkers), where they repeatedly used it, in arch tones, stifling giggles and everything.

Who started this? Who thinks it's cool? The Internet is the network of all connected networks. To have two Internets, they'd have to be not connected, got it? Like one is on Mars, or something. So get over your coy abuse of terminology and use the right terms, okay? Also, unless you wish to have a midlife career change to soprano, don't let me catch you ever saying "the Interweb."

Sheesh!


2 comments:

  1. People are making fun of George Bush, who referred to "the Internets" in the last debate.
    If you want to blame someone... he started it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten so used to W's malapropisms that it completely flew over my head. Still, I wish all the arch uses would just die...

    ReplyDelete