Monday, August 9, 2004

She's Leaving Home...

Kelly is off at Camp Collins for a week (or less, if she chickens out). Jean and I dropped her off yesterday, and we're supposed to pick her up next Saturday. It's a really nice camp; I wish I were staying there a week. But this is Kelly's first extended away-from-home trip, and while the head councilor assures us that lots of kids get homesick, Kelly, like me, doesn't like being away from home for long periods. Add to that being away from her parents for more than one night, and things are dicey.

I tried to be positive, in my Finnish low affect way, last night, since I knew Jean would be feeling the Mommy Jitters. But apparently I ticked her off instead. She wanted to have the phone nearby in case there were an emergency, and I showed her how to set the ringer on. Then she asked me if I wanted the phone, and I declined, saying the odds were much higher of getting woken by a wrong number. "Well, you're a superior human being," she quipped. So my plan to spread contagious calm failed miserably. Dunno how well she'll hold up over the whole week...

No comments:

Post a Comment