Sunday, July 28, 2002

Dinosaur Pops



We drove down to Fry's today to buy Kelly a bit of computer software. On the way down, I swear I don't remember why, we began talking about cryogenics. I got my definitions a little garbled, in that I didn't remember that cryonics was the word specifically describing freezing people with the goal of later resuscitation. But the essentials were correct, and I got across the current state of the art and why we don't know if it is possible to resuscitate a frozen person (for legal/ethical reasons, all persons frozen to date have been legally dead already, so even if we thawed them out without 'freezer burn', they would still be dead).





Kelly got the idea and contributed: "It's too bad we didn't freeze the dinosaurs, so now there could be little baby dinosaurs for pets."





"Yes," I added, "it's too bad we didn't have cryonics labs back then. But if we did have dinosaurs for pets, what would we do when they grew up?"





"We'd send them away."





"Send them where? I can see you having a little baby T. Rex gnawing at your thumb, but when it got bigger..."





"I don't know. But wouldn't baby dinosaurs be cute?"





"I guess we could give them to the zoo," I offered, giving Kelly an out. "Uh huh. That's a good idea!"



No comments:

Post a Comment