Thursday, January 1, 2009

Let the Right One In

My New Year's holiday movie was Let the Right One In, a Swedish movie about a bullied and neglected boy (Oskar) who makes friends with a strange girl (Eli) who has moved into the apartment next door.

It won a slew of film festival awards, and I have to say they are deserved. A one-sentence summary of the story could leave you thinking that it is a generic genre film, but it is not. It is touching and evolves at a leisurely pace. The ending was happy, and charming, and only after looking at the IMDB summary did I fully understand it.

Very good.

P.S. - The title apparently comes from a song by Morrisey, Let the Right One Slip In, which ends with the lyrics:


Let the right one in

Let the old things fade

Put the tricks and schemes (for good) away




Ah ... I will advise

Ah ... Until my mouth dries

Ah ... I will advise you to ...




Ah ... let the right one slip in

Slip in

Slip in




And when at last it does

I'd say you were within your rights to bite

The right one and say, "what kept you so long ?"

"What kept you so long ?"

Oh ...




No comments:

Post a Comment