Friday, July 23, 2004

Ong-Bak

First I want to thank Tom, who bought Ong-Bak for me while he was at Anime Expo this year (I asked him to, but he made it a giftie). I'd been reading about this movie, and seeing interviews with the various participants, for over a year, and was planning to buy it soon, so thanks Tom.

Phanom Yeerum took the name Tony Ja and a star was born. He's been training for years, inspired by the likes of Jacky Chan, but with a distinctly Thai flavor, specializing in Muay Thai, his home-grown martial art. The director, Pracha Pinkaew, obviously likes the Jackie Chan comparison, as the movie is filled with stunts replayed lovingly from multiple camera angles, a signature that Jackie Chan uses a bit more sparingly.

This has the feel of an early Chan-helmed movie. The production is inexpensive, the stunts small, and the story simple. Overall, I'm glad I had no idea what to expect, since if I'd been expecting a faithful later-Chan extravaganza I might have been disappointed. But taken on it's own terms, Ong-Bak is definitely worth watching.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't a cool movie though? I had to get it as soon as I heard about it--and apparently it was finally released in the cinemas in Japan--so there's a big buzz oging on about it again! Can't wair for Ong-Bak 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. I plan to inflict this on all my friends. I just won't be saying "It's just like a big-budget Jackie Chan movie!" ;^)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah!
    You might also want to check out the trailer for "Born to Fight", from the same team (minus Yeerum) that did "Ong-Bak".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jon. Boing Boing already linked to this, so I've indeed seen it. Hope I can get a DVD or VCD of this one some day too!

    ReplyDelete