Tuesday, March 2, 2004

Test-Driven Development

I first started reading Test-Driven Development, by Kent Beck, several months ago. The plan was to map his examples, primarily written in Java and Python, to my own world of C++. I tried, really I did, but there's just too much cognitive dissonance.

The principles made sense, and some of them reflected my own experience. But the examples in Java were just too foreign to me, and the Python example seemed foreign to the author, so I was left with the theory, and not the practice. I may get around to grabbing one of the C++ unit testing frameworks, but it's my impression that when they work at all, they work best with the more modern dialects, and we're still waiting on the port to GCC 3.2.2.

So maybe in another year you'll hear a review on this methodology again. In the meantime, I'll store this baby on my shelf...

No comments:

Post a Comment