Saturday, October 5, 2002

Aphorisms



Kelly joined Jean and I this morning, and our conversation took a strange turn. We'd been discussing aphorisms, and I told Kelly one I had heard years ago on M*A*S*H, since I thought it would appeal to her young sense of humor:





"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,


Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.





Sidney Freedman





Kelly wanted me to explain it, so I told her it was an admonition to relax and take time in life to have some fun, be goofy, see the pleasant side of life without working yourself to death. "Like that other old saw, 'stop and smell the roses'."





"Uh huh. That's what the wolf would say to Little Red Riding Hood." Kelly in all seriousness here...





"The wolf would tell Red to stop and smell the roses? Why?"





"'Cause then he could catch up to her and eat her!"





So I sort of gave up trying to explain popular aphorisms for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment